Friday 14 October 2016

Another day, another palace, and a torte

Rough night, legs and knees were sore. I was just too lazy to get up and take something and/or put cream on.  After my morning coffee, decided I didn't feel too bad, so went out for a short run. Most sun I've seen since  arriving in Vienna, but the wind has picked up.

Today's agenda: Belvedere Palace
This palace was also built as a summer residence. I walked the gardens and visited the Upper Belvedere (museum). One of the artists on display is Gutav Klimt, including The Kiss. I was wondering if it would live up to hype. I think it did. The gardens here, and at Schönbrunn, are open to the public. A few runners taking advantage here today, there were lots yesterday in those large gardens.

Upper Belvedere
Lower Belvedere

No garden is complete without a fountain...
Or creepy statues
Around the reflecting pond there were 12 statues, cicel of animals/zodiac heads


Stopped by St. Stephan's


Time to get off these legs. So to Hotel Sachet. Timing is everything, was seated right away. Nearly everyone is having sacher torte. It was okay, probably over priced, but I can say I had the original. Same recipe since 1832, when it was created by Franz Sachet when he was an apprentice, and the chef de cuisine fell I'll. The process consists of 34 individual steps, right up to packaging. There's a line up to get in when I leave.

Strolled around the Hofburg complex. And visited the treasury; some truly remarkable items, well worth the visit.



Lovely rose garden. Lots of people enjoying the sunny afternoon, not sure how I was able to get a picture without them.

1 comment:

  1. And where's the picture of the Sacher Torte?

    Those statues are a little creepy - I like the dog one, but not as it is...stuck on a spit! LOL

    Glad you got a run in and the legs were fine - will be fine for the big day. I'll be thinking of you - enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete