Wednesday 12 October 2016

So Long Budapest, Bring on Vienna

This morning I say goodbye to Budapest and move onto Vienna.  It's raining, makes it easier to go. At the train station early, retrieve my ticket and my train is here. Find my car and seat. I purchased a first class seat, after not liking second class/regional train travel in Italy, even though alot of people online say it's not necessary.  This kind of train travel is definitely more my style,  food and beverage service. Only have a hot chocolate on my 2:30 trip.

Arrival in Vienna
Before leaving Budapest I studied the metro/underground map so I knew how to get to my hotel. I however was looking at the wrong train station for my arrival. No matter a quick look at the map and I got straightened out. The problem however was finding where to buy tickets, I am not the only one confused. Half a block up the street and it's the main station and the metro sentrance.  Purchase a weekly ticket and stop by the information booth to confirm my route. One change, easy peasy. Off at my stop, but I  cannot see my hotel, I'm on the right street so I start walking. No way is this hotel within site of the underground station. Check in, pleased with the room. Look out my window and what do I see - metro station. Look at the map; I got off at Schottenring when it should have been Schottentor. Oops. After a bit head out to find lunch/dinner. Found a busy local restaurant  so in I go. Had a grilled sausage, mashed potatoes and creamed green beans. Sausage wasn't my favorite, but the meal did hit the spot.  Finished off with a grape strudel with vanilla sauce, tasty.

And yeah, it was as big as it looks.
Raining this morning, so hit the gym rather than running (tried the treadmill, still dislike). Breakfast and I'm off. Plan on museums given the weather. Currenlty not raining, so decided to walk. Pass city hall, a circus is set up in front, odd.




Parliament, too bad they have that banner on the building.
Make my way to Kunst Historisches Museum.
Let me say wow! 125 anniversary of the museum. No expense was spared in the consruction, it took 20 years to complete.

Staircase
Fresco above the staircase

Had planed on going or Sacher Torte, but then line was too long. But don't fret Janet, went to Gerstner across the street. Had a warm poppysee cake and coffee.


Time for a walk around. Lots of great buildings. Then I find myself on a pedestrian walking street with lots of high end shops.

Not sure exactly what we can do on that side of the street, that's not allowed on this side. Waltzing?

Spanish riding school

The wind has picked up and I'm getting chilled. I don't think it's far to my hotel, but not quite sure what street to take. But  there's the underground. I get off at the right stop this time. Busy station, shopping and eating available. Grab a ciabatta slice and head home, white wine from the mini bar, and I'm all set.


1 comment:

  1. OK - sometime in your visit to Vienna you have to find out what that sign means...I am very curious!

    Sacher Torte - yes, please. You must have one, take a picture and tell me what a real Sacher Torte is like. Mmmm. The pastry looks good, was that like a custard with it? OK, now I want Sticky Toffee Pudding!!

    Hope the weather improves. Can't wait to explore more of Vienna with you :)

    ReplyDelete