Monday 24 October 2016

Copenhagen

Up early on Sunday to get a couple more photos of Prague before I leave. A stroll around the castle and time to go. Just enough Czech crowns to get a beer at the airport, getting good at money management. Onto my fourth (and final) currency.
Get my ticket for the trip into the city. Don't see a sign for the train, just the metro. Once on the metro I realize it's not going to be direct like the train. Hmmm. Someone comes along to check tickets, I'm good, but the girl next to me has a ticket that's only good for 2 zones and she needs 3. So he informs her that he has to give her a fine. While she's filling out her information, I take the opportunity to get directions. All set now, no problems getting to my hotel. Settle in and decide on a burger joint for dinner. After walking a few blocks, I realize I might not be in best part of town, neon sign advertising 'Erotic Corner' kinda a give away. I think the diner is just a block or two more, but not liking the idea of having to walk back up this street after dinner. So I turn around. Find a place on near my hotel that does the job. In the morning I research Copenhagen's red light distinct, it is now the trendy part of town. What I saw wasn't trendy!

Enjoyed a slow start to the day. Have my plan together and off I go. Stop in at the tourist information and pick up a couple pamphlets and a map. Town hall is just a few blocks away, I get there just before 11, the walking tours head out at 11 and consider joining one, but decide not to. Snap a couple photos and move on. Two right turns and I am back at the tourist information. I take this as a sign and stop for a coffee and pastry, apparently I cannot function without coffee. Have a look at the map I picked up, it has a self-guided tour marked on it. Okay new plan, going to follow this map.  Works out well, easy to follow.

Town Hall


Nyhavn


Trio of herring for lunch

St. Alban Church

Monument for Denmark's International Effort Since 1948
One Moment - One Place - One Person


What a great day!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you arrived safe and sound at your next destination. And that you turned around and ate somewhere else...yikes, trendy or not, you gotta go with your gut feeling! Love monument - striking and yet so simple of design! Also great picture of the colourful buildings along the water front...is a trip on the canal in the works (I saw on TV you can take a hot tub down one of the canals???)?

    Looking forward to exploring Copenhagen with you, Brenda!!

    ReplyDelete