Tuesday 4 October 2016

Hello Hungary, hello gelato




11 months after I originally planned to do this trip I'm here. Still glad that I postponed it last year, ready now to enjoy some amazing cities!

My driver to the airport last night is originally from Prague, he tells me I am going to love it, and I will enjoy the beer. I impressed him with my language skills - as I know how to say beer in Czech.  Waiting for my connection in London, what are the odds that the mother and son I am sitting next to are from Calgary, Mom is originally from Pest. He tells me how much I am going to love Vienna (he's been several times).

Efficient taxi system at the Budapest airport. Line up at the kiosk, give them your destination, they printout a ticket with the taxi number and license plates so you know which one is yours and the driver already had the GPS programmed. As well an estimate for the fare. Lots of talk on the travel forums about unscrupulous taxi drivers, not sure if that's still the case these days or more a thing of the past. Fast check in at the hotel, happy with my accomodation choice. Less than a block from the opera house. Time for a little nap.

My plan had been to catch a free walking tour this evening. I had the route all planned to the meeting square and off I went. Two wrong turns and I was headed the wrong way. I know to trust my instincts and turned around before I got too far, but to late for the tour, so on my own. Lots of pedestrian streets, with lots of restautants and shopping (saw a great shoe store (boots!)) A little rainy tonight, hopefully things improve.


Szent Istvan Bazilika

And because this is Europe, there is gelato everywhere. Wasn't planning on having any tonight, until I found myself standing in front of Gelarto Rosa. Was not disappointed! Had hazelnut, and lavender white chocolate. There's a pretty good chance that I'll be stopping by here again. Lucky for me it's so close to home. I will have to go with more dramatic flavours (colours) next time.


1 comment:

  1. YAY - I was hoping you'd blog about this adventure...and here you are!!! Sounds like you are off to a fabulous start - with gelato on the first day, no less. Enjoy and I can't wait to visit this part of Europe with you (from the comfort and warmth of my office chair ;)

    Safe travels, Brenda!

    ReplyDelete