Tuesday 1 September 2015

Stockholm

Typical first night travel schedule, wide awake at 1am, thankfully by 3am I was ready to sleep. Quick breakfast and back to the airport to catch the Arlanda Express into Stockholm, 20 minutes and I am downtown. I then proceeded on a walking tour of the Norrmalm area of town. It probably would have been better if I had dropped my bags off at the hotel first! Thankfully I came across a tourist with a city map in her hand. After a quick look I knew which way to go. A short walk landed me at my hotel. They had a room ready and I checked in early.
Changed into dry clothing and charged my phone, and was ready to explore old town.
Gamla Stan is a 20 minute stroll down a pedestrian street. I walked up and down the quaint cobblestone streets.




















Up next was the palace tour.
Victorian Hall

 The Council Chamber. At one time it was used as a dining room, and special guests were invited to dinner; however, they were not allowed to sit or eat. They stood and watched the royal family eat. It was considered a great privilege.

Karl XI's Gallery
Can seat 170 for dinner.

After close to 4 hours of walking around, I was ready for a break. I decided to head across the bridge and get a picture of the palace and then start to make my way back to my hotel.

Royal Palace
'Under the Bridges' boat tour was scheduled to go in 20 minutes, so bought a ticket.
Great way to see Stockholm. The islands all have walking/running/cycling paths along the shoreline.


Gamla Stan

Old Mill
















With the boat tour completed, time to find some dinner. Came across a happening restaurant a couple of blocks from my hotel. Rolfs Kök, I had an amazing fiskgryta. Sorry no picture, I had destroyed the presentation before I thought about it.
End of day 1.

4 comments:

  1. Nice... although fish stew sounds more interesting and um tasty in Swedish...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Jacqui - 'selfies' please :) I somehow didn't expect Stockholm to be so 'European' (not sure how else to describe it). Reminds me of Edinburgh/Glasgow!

    And thanks, Terry, for the translation. Yep, much more tasty sounding in Swedish!!!

    I see umbrellas up - will hope for sunny weather for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tomorrow's weather forecast is looking better. Ya no selfies yet, maybe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete